Transferring your music catalogue from another distributor
Transferring your music requires a bit of detailed work, but is fairly easy! This is how it works:
1. You will need to create the assets on Family in Music Distribution by either clicking on Music > Distribution > Create Release OR ‘Go to Distribution’ > Assets > Actions > Create new release.
2. In order to maintain all of your streaming data, please ensure to follow all these steps when creating the assets:
The song titles, artist name and artwork and other metadata need to be identical
Audio files need to be identical. Track length and format need to be identical
You must use the original ISRC and UPC codes
You must choose 'Yes' when asked if 'Previously Released' on the '01 Main Info' tab when creating the asset, and include the previous release date correctly
3. Once you have created the assets, you need to distribute them again.
4. Issue a takedown of the previous releases on your previous music distributor only AFTER the new ones are live on the DSPs (Spotify, Apple Music, etc).
You will have a duplicate release up for a couple of days – that’s ok. It will say “1 more release” on Spotify (see screenshot below)
Please note that track-linking by the DSPs might take up to 5 business days after the ingestion of the new content. Kindly make sure to ingest content that you need to be linked at least 5 business days in advance of the set live date.
How to make sure whether the tracks are linked? You can verify this by using for instance the Spotify app (not the web version) and then comparing the play counts of each track. If the play count is the same then the tracks are linked to their old version and all you need to do is takedown the old version.
If you have any further questions about the process, please feel free to reach out to us and we will be happy to help you further and make sure your transfer goes smoothly!
What happens when I move my music from another distributor?
The migration process affects in a different way to your music's data depending on the DSP.
Once you have transferred your music from another distributor and the tracks have been successfully linked:
- The new release should retain all play counts
- The new release will remain on any including playlists
- Chart history & popularity should be retained
- Ratings & reviews will be lost
- Migrating will cause all play counts to reset.